Bruschetta Panini


If you are at all like I am, you are trying to figure out what to do with all of the tomatoes and herbs in your garden before they spoil or the cold hits 'em. Here is an easy solution: make my bruschetta panini, or grilled cheese if you don't have a panini press.

The idea for this sandwich hit me years ago when I had bruschetta for the first time with my dad and sister at Carrabba's. I wanted to recreate it at home and tried different varieties. While the bruschetta was a success, there was this lingering urge to take it a step further.

In 2001, I lived with Andy & Annette and really fell in love with cooking. I remember reading through a Martha Stewart magazine and saw a delightful grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes and basil. We LOVED it. I mean, LOVED it. So I married the two.

If you don't have a panini press but have a George Foreman grill, or something like it, trust me, it works just the same.

Simply butter the sides of the bread that will touch the press or grill. On one side of bread, spread a layer of pesto sauce (recipe to follow) as thick or thinly as you want. Layer slices of tomato on top of the pesto, and then cover with cheese. I prefer Swiss but I'm sure you could use mozzarella or provolone. Place the remaining bread slice on top, buttered side facing out, and close the press/grill. I like to check mine about half way through to ensure the bread is turning golden brown. If not, I add a little more butter. More butter. Never a bad thing.
I'm picky when it comes to pesto sauces and don't care for nuts, so this recipe doesn't have pine nuts, or walnuts like Ina prefers. But feel free to throw some in if you so choose.

Pesto

2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups, packed, coarsely chopped basil leaves
Coarse salt
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1/3 cup olive oil
Add all ingredients together in a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped and combined. With food processor on, slowly add olive oil.
Pesto Pointers
  • Fresh basil is very delicate, and will turn brown if it gets very hot or if it's exposed to air for long periods of time. Many cooks use fresh spinach as well as basil in their pesto to help maintain its brilliant green color.
  • Store pesto in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week, or in the freezer for about six months.
  • Keep it looking fresh and green by covering the top with a thin layer of olive oil or with a sheet of plastic wrap directly on its surface; this will keep it from oxidizing and turning brown. (If your pesto darkens in color, it will still taste good. Only discard it if it has been stored improperly.)
  • One way to freeze pesto in manageable portion sizes is to freeze it in an ice cube tray, and transfer the cubes to a heavy duty plastic freezer bag. (Reserve an ice cube tray for this purpose, as it might discolor and flavor your plastic tray.) Thaw frozen pesto in the refrigerator or in the microwave on medium power just until room temperature.

Grill, eat, love!

Comments

  1. My, oh my! That's brilliant! Glad to see I'm not the only "genius" using my G. Foreman for paninis!

    Love your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts