Mom's Pumpkin Pie

A recent trip to a local pumpkin patch left me craving pumpkin pie. Not just ANY pumpkin pie. My mom's pumpkin pie. Here are some fun pumpkin pictures (I got a new camera for my birthday a few months ago and have fancied myself as a pretty decent photographer...so I'm gonna share!).










I bought over 70 pounds of pumpkin for my front porch!


Among the many childhood memories I have, one stands out: the smell coming from my childhood home when I'd walk home from elementary school. My fabulous mother is known for excelling in many areas, but one specific area are her cooking skills. I recall making numerous trips to Dewey, Arizona, with Mom as she would do regular deliveries of her amazing pies for a restaurant. I sometimes call her their pastry chef. And she's done countless pie baking classes at her house for church. So trust me when I say that the following recipe will make you the envy of the Thanksgiving table. Pumpkin pie couldn't be simpler or tastier.





Mom's Pumpkin Pie


2 unbaked 9" OR 3 8" pie shells
4 eggs
1 can (29 oz.) canned pumpkin
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
2 1/2 t. cinnamon
2 t. ginger
1t. ground cloves
1/2-1 t. nutmeg (freshly grated is preferred)
2 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk

Prepare pie shells and preheat oven to 425 degrees.


Beat eggs with wire whisk in large mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients in order, beating after each (add all spices and beat once). Do not beat until frothy or bubbles will appear in the pie. Keep it smooth. Pour equally into shells.


Bake for 15-minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40-50 minutes, or until done.

Test for doneness by inserting a dinner knife near the center. The pie will be done if the kife comes out clean. Do not underbake.

Cool on wire racks.


Bake, eat, love!





Thanks to my darling friend, Nick, for being my poison tester and pie model!

Comments

  1. Had your mom's pumpkin pie for breakfast just yesterday! Still have some left for treat tonight. So good we don't even slice it and put it on a plate... just all grab a fork and dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dori, your photos are wonderful, and yes, Mom's recipe IS the best. She shared an apple pie with us yesterday. I had it for breakfast and lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out Dori!!! Making pies is so rewarding with grateful family and KMS too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in the mood for pumpkin! I can't wait to make this recipe. I made pumpkin bars today, but they weren't the same as your pumpkin treat (I was too lazy to look up your recipe, seriously, will not do that again!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts