Sunday Dinner Biscuits

Please take note of this blog post title.  Sunday Dinner Biscuits.  They're not a side dish.  They're not a vessel on which to serve something.  They ARE dinner.  At least they were today.

I don't even remember what my original dinner plans were, tonight.  Probably some lean chicken, steamed veggies, egg whites, and an apple.  Ugh, thinking about that makes me want to bail on all of the hard work I've put into transforming my health, fitness, body, mind, and eating habits, and gorge on biscuits for the next week.  But I won't.  I'll let myself have fun tonight and then I'll dream about it for the weeks to come. 

A staple at Knight Family Sunday Dinners, growing up, biscuits were easy for my mom to generate and even easier for us children to consume.  Throw a little butter, a little honey, or some of her homemade strawberry jam on the table and I most definitely will challenge you to an arm-wrestling match for the last one.  If you beat me, we're going 2 out of 3 and trying leg wrestling.  I'll beat you.  They're just too good!

I'm sure in a moment of last-minuteness, she might have resorted to Bisquick a time or two, but there's honestly no reason to every do that if you have a few baking essentials in your pantry.  This recipe was incredibly easy, yielded 26...nope, only 19 now...bite sized heavenly morsels, and took all of 20 minutes to make.  They'll take about 20 seconds to inhale.  No, really, you'll inhale them. Just warning you.

I don't have biscuit cutters (I know...embarrassing), so I used a small juice glass dipped in flour to get these little silver dollar nuggets of love, but you can make them as big or as little as you want.  Just make them already.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
  3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.               

Bake, eat, & love!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...having issues. BAILEY made these today and oh my! They are amazing! We had a VERY hard time waiting to eat them until dinner and just MAY have had a few samples. THANK YOU for SHARING

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed them!! I think biscuits at Sunday dinner should be a standard tradition. And, if you have leftovers (haha, that's funny), throw on some strawberries and whipped cream and BAM! there's dessert!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts