Butterbeer and Thanksgiving Thoughts

Sharing a Thanksgiving toast with my sister

Ever since I can remember, Thanksgiving has been spent side-by-side to the greatest cook I know, my mother. Every year she tells me the same thing....
Bake the pies the night before so your oven is free.
Make sure you have enough sage for the stuffing.
Freshly grated nutmeg is better than pre-grated nutmeg.
You'll need more butter, onions, and celery than you think.
Make sure you wash and pat dry the turkey before putting butter on it.
Did you get ALL of the ingredients in the pie filling? Are you sure?
...and this was the first year that I totally understood why she's done that for all of these years. This was the first year, in 29 years, that I did not spend Thanksgiving in the kitchen at my mother's elbow. The first year that I did not help chop countless cups of onions and celery for her stuffing. The first year that I did not consume half a pumpkin pie before the dinner itself. This was also the first year that I made my own Thanksgiving dinner and started my own traditions. The first year that Mom made her own Thanksgiving dinner was not as joyous as mine. You see, it was the first Thanksgiving after her own mom had passed away.
How blessed am I to still have my mother around? Words don't exist to measure that gratitude. She put up with my incessant texting about cooking tips. She graciously answered every call for the weeks ahead of time and the day of. She lamented the lack of a neck in her turkey and when I told her that I had a big meaty one, the "SCORE!" text message made me laugh.
I enjoy the holiday season for several reasons, but mostly because of how it brings family together. No commercial aspect of a holiday will bring as much joy and love as spending it with your family....even if Black Friday resulted in some killer TV deal.
Among the fun firsts for me was experiencing with Butterbeer. Trust me on this one. Make it. You'll love it!!

Butterbeer
16 oz. cream soda (per person)
1/2 teaspoon imitation butter (per person)

In a glass, pour 1/2 teaspoon imitation butter and 15 oz cream soda

Butterbeer Foam
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon imitation butter

In a medium sized bowl, whip heavy whipping cream and sugar either by hand or with hand mixer until mixture thickens, 1-2 minutes. You do not want soft peaks to form.

Stir in vanilla extract and imitation butter. Continue mixing by hand or by mixer for another 2-3 minutes.

Add spoonfulls of the mixture on top of the butterbeer.

Drink, enjoy, and love!

Comments

  1. You were extremely missed!!! The butterbeer sounds AMAZING! It's now added to my "Must Try Soon" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mug picture was one that I found online, but I think it was from the actual theme park. It's now been replaced with one of our own. We even got actual pub glasses to make it more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you not just for your fun and expert help but for the closeness working side by side or elbow to elbow brings. It sounds like you and Linz pulled off a killer feast. CONGRATS. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts