Holy Guacamole!!


During a work retreat to Red Robin (where I had the most amazing hamburger with a fried egg on it...yummers), I ordered some nachos. Whoever made them that day must have hated me because they put very little cheese and sour cream on them, and buttered it up with guacamole instead.
Now, in kindergarten, a student teacher scarred me for life with guacamole and it reminded me of all sorts of nastiness. I don't think I even tried it back then. I automatically assumed that I'd dislike it and spent the next 20+ years of my life poo-pooing all things guacamole.
On that fateful day at Red Robin, my hunger got the best of me and I made myself try it. (Part of my try new things campaign this year.) The guacamole was not only pleasant, but enjoyable. And thus began my love affair with guacamole.
Okay, that wasn't really the beginning of my love affair. Red Robin was just the gateway drug.
Credit for this love affair goes to one man: Phatty D. You'll hear more about him with future recipe posts.
Phatty had somehow conned an enchilada dinner out of me and he had requested guacamole. Having thus hated guacamole for an eternity, I had consequently never made it before. But the dinner was on its way, table set, and I had to create guacamole! I didn't know what typically went into it besides avocado, so I thought about what I would want in a guacamole, bought the ingredients, and now, nothing will ever compare. Just ask my roommate, who has dubbed it "the best guacamole she has ever eaten". Phatty, being anti-sour cream, smothered his enchiladas with guacamole that night...a brilliant and tasty idea.
Holy Guacamole
2 large ripe avocados, pitted and scooped out of the flesh
1 Roma tomato, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced, or grated over microplane (I recommend this technique whenever cooking with garlic)
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
3-4 T red onion, chopped
Small handful cilantro, chopped
Squeeze of lime juice
Salt to taste
Combine avocado, garlic, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro in a bowl. Mash together (I used a whisk) without completely obliterating the avocado.
Once everything is combined, with a rubber scraper, fold in tomatoes, lime juice, and salt to taste. The lime juice will keep the avocado from darkening from air exposure, but I recommend serving this promptly after making it.
Make, eat, and love!

Comments

  1. So glad to hear you've come over to the cheering side for the green stuff. :) Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts