Band of Horses - Dilly


A few years ago, as I was branching out into lesser known music circles, I received a tip on a concert held at Kilby Court in Salt Lake City. It was March 11, 2006, and I was supposed to attend a 3-11 party, hosted by some friends who love 311 maybe a little more than I do. My gut told me to go to Kilby Court...though I didn't know who was playing.

Kilby is pretty darn small. It's a converted garage. It's cold in the winter. It's standing room only. It's a little dodgy for a single girl to be walking around that part of SLC in the dark of night by herself. It's worth it. Well, it was worth it, and pretty much for only one reason: Band of Horses.

If you were to ask me what 2 cities have had an influence on music, I'd answer Nashville and Seattle. BOH hails from Seattle and have changed my love of music for good. If you haven't listened to them before, I hope you'll give them a try. Maybe you'll like them! I mean, a 2010 Grammy nominated band can't be THAT bad, can it?

Back to Kilby. So I hardly know the person that tipped me off to the concert, let alone anyone playing, so I hesitantly walk in, hoping I'm not walking into a back alley garage full of drugs or stolen goods (really, when it's dark, and you don't know what to expect, it's kind of scary!), and I hear them singing this song. Okay, so they're singing about SLC, sort of. They're kind of cool. So I make my way to the front, (literally, the very front) and then the mind blowing commenced. Needless to say, I was impressed. The guy that tipped me off hid in the corner, but got a thumbs up from me up front (idiot....who stands in a corner at a BOH show?). After they were done, and given the extremely close proximity in which I found myself, I felt I could talk to the band a bit. Ben Bridwell, the lead singer, and Tyler Ramsey, lead guitarist, were the two I was closest to and you'd think they were the neighbor boys in a garage band with how they talked to everyone. Super chill, super nice, and it wasn't until a few days later when I'd told a friend that I'd been to the show that I found out just how big they were and how lucky I was to have attended it.

I remained BOH ignorant until that lovely night at Kilby Court, and I can't keep you ignorant. This video leaves me craving a dusty road, a handle bar mustache, and just enough space to do a line dance. I hope that you like it.

Watch, listen, love!

Comments

Popular Posts