Coconut Cake




You might wind up cursing my name for sharing this recipe with you, but please don't. It's really Trevlyn's fault that you'll love it so much. Years ago, she introduced this cake to our dinner table, and I've pretty much disliked any other cake since then. You'll impress coconut lovers with this fancy looking cake but really, it's quite simple.

You'll need:
1 package white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
2 cups white sugar
1 (14 ounce) package flaked coconut
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Prepare the cake mix as per package directions for a two layer cake. I like to substitute non-fat plain yogurt for the oil. It saves you on fat and calories and keeps the cake uber moist. Use equal amounts yogurt (or even apple sauce) for what the recipe calls for in oil.

Once the cake is cool, split each cake into two layers, creating four layers.

Mix together sour cream, sugar, and all but a portion of the coconut (some should be reserved for the top of the cake). Set aside one cup of this mixture. Spread the remainder between layers of cake.

Combine whipped topping and the reserved sour cream mixture. Use this to ice the cake.

Store the iced cake in the refrigerator for about three days before cutting. The longer it is refrigerated, the better it is, I promise!

Toast remaining coconut and sprinkle on the iced cake right before serving.



I served this at my family's Easter dinner this past weekend, and accompanied it with the Meyer lemon curd I blogged about last week. Thanks to Lindsay for the pictures!!

Bake, eat, and love!

Comments

  1. I can't believe I've never made this but so glad you did. Keeping the family baking tradition strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. INCREDIBLE!!! I told Jared last night that I was craving some... mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the rest of the cake and ham over to the boys later that night....and now I miss the cake, terribly. We might need to do more Sunday dinners and make this cake all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! I have a Paula Deen recipe sort of like this one..the pictures are so delish! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. No 4 layer cake is simple! But it is the most beautiful and delicious thing! Love, Boo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts